Solids, Liquids and Gases


Man, I miss you guys!  I have been so extremely busy this year that I haven't been able to blog or read blogs    I feel so out of it.  I have over 1000 posts to read!!  I am missing all your great ideas!

This year I have 18 students and 12 are boys!!!  Needless to say that my hands are a bit full! :)  The behavior system that I'm using with the colors that I posted previously is working out great.  I also am keeping track of their behavior with a sticker chart.  If they're on green they get one sticker, blue = two stickers, purple = 3 stickers.  After 5 stickers they earn a small prize or treat.  It has been very motivational!

Solids, Liquids and Gases
In science we are studying solids, liquids and gases.  I found a great lesson on promethean planet.  I love this site!  It had great videos to show the kids.  When we did gas we did a fun experiment.  Materials: soda bottle, balloon, baking soda, and vinegar.

Put about 1/4c. of vinegar in the bottom of the soda bottle.
Fill about 2 tsp of baking soda into a balloon.  I didn't have a funnel which would have been really nice!!  So I used a medicine dropper and amazingly it also worked ok.  It just took longer.
Place the filled balloon on the top and put the baking soda into the vinegar.  It will start to bubble and gas will produce filling the balloon.

The first time I used a small balloon and wow did it blow up - it almost popped off the bottle.  I tried it again but the balloons kept ripping when I put them on the bottle.  So I went to the bigger balloons.  This worked but not enough gas was produced to keep the balloon big for long.  Use more ingredients for the bigger balloon.  Have fun!



This balloon got a lot bigger but I snapped the photo too soon!

6 comments

  1. How fun! Your students are so engaged!

    Beth Ann from Taming my Flock of Firsties

    http://familyrunningmyjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use promethean planet all the time. What was the lesson called? I'm totally going to do this ASAP :)

    ❤ Karen
    Flamingo Fabulous in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called Discovering Matter. Here's the link: http://www.prometheanplanet.com/en-us/Resources/Item/82333/discovering-matter It is an excellent lesson!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to inspire the children through these experiment i really appreciate your effort to put these on blog and these type of experiment help to boost the knowledge of children.read more

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like it! Science is a passion of mine! I wish I could teach science more often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...